KENNY KOHLHAAS WAS BORN OF GERMAN AND IRISH ROOTS IN THE FAST PACED, WHITE COLLAR WASHINGTON DC AREA. ALWAYS BEING ENCOURAGED BY WELL MEANING PEERS IN NORTHERN VIRGINIA TO DO THE PRACTICAL THING THAT WILL MAKE THE MOST MONEY AND BE THE LOWEST RISK, KENNY ALWAYS FELT LIKE A FISH OUT OF WATER AS THE IMPRACTICAL RISK TAKER WHO ALWAYS WANTED TO GO AGAINST THE GRAIN AND FOLLOW HIS PASSION OF MAKING MUSIC. HE DECIDED TO TAKE THE LEAP AFTER HIS THIRD MISERABLE YEAR AS AN I.T. MAJOR AND SWITCH TO STUDYING MUSIC. HE HASN'T LOOKED BACK SINCE. HIS EAST COAST PACE AND GERMAN PRECISION, PAIRED WITH HIS DEEP FEELING IDEALIST NATURE AND LOVE FOR THE 20TH CENTURY MUSIC GREATS GIVE HIM AN OLD SOUL WITH A YOUNG ENERGY, AND MAKES HIM A GREAT ASSET TO ANY MUSICAL ENDEAVOR.
- Educated in music performance with a concentration in jazz guitar at George Mason University, with a departmental service award of "Outstanding Contribution to the School of Music." Kenny was the first place recipient of "Jazz for Justice" Jazz improvisation scholarship.
- Full time professional guitarist and singer/songwriter in the DC area and all over the U.S. and abroad for the last ten years. Has extensive experience in many styles, ranging from from Gospel music to jazz, rock, pop, folk, Americana, bluegrass, indie, funk, and more.
- Touring Musician and Session Guitarist
- Performance and studio credits include: Kirk Franklin, BeBe and CeCe Winans, Mary Mary, Shirley Caesar, Chrisette Michelle, Three Winans Brothers, Clark Sisters, Charles Butler, Byron Cage, Phil Lassiter and Marie Miller to name a few.
- Event credits include:
- Performed with Marie Miller on stage with Pope Francis at the World Meeting of Families in Philadelphia.
- Guitarist for the house band for The 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have A Dream" speech on the National Mall.
- Has performed in South Africa, Switzerland, Germany, France, Belgium, and played a USO tour for the troops in Kuwait.